Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Landscape Painting





























Joseph, Cedric, and I found this great new landscaping spot quite close to home. It's at the merging point of a lake's run-off and the Kalamazoo River. There is a fishing hole for the family and lots of interesting trees and shadows for me. This first sketch shows a very idyllic summer experience of fishing and bathing in sunlight-Cedric and Joseph almost lost in a big, green world.

I've been using panels more and more this summer. I think for smaller pieces this is going to really be a habit. I'm using artist grade panels and panel primer from Robert Doak (NYC). Sometimes I use an imprimatura of Red Ochre or Raw Umber but usually I just leave them white until I know what will be painted on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment