Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dreaming in Lead White

I'm sure a measure of you can sympathize with lead white addiction in painting (no, not eating).  When I discovered it years ago, I was able to walk around with a knowing expression...I'd found one of the secrets of the Old Masters.
However, as I ran out of tubes of my lead white, I found myself a little nervous about ordering more.  Some may argue that it's fine.  It's a heavy pigment and isn't floating around trying to poison me.  But, I work at home a fair amount.  I work in my kitchen fairly often.  I have children and a lap dog.  I just would rather avoid it for a while.
SO! I was excited to find this blog post.  I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I like the home brew lead white substitute as described.  http://paintingperceptions.com/sounding-technical/the-great-lead-white-shortage
I'm really liking Oleogel and more recently Wilson's Medium from Natural Pigments.  Wilson't Medium gets sticky and rich quite quickly that can add some texture within one session.  Perhaps this lead white sub and Wilson's can get together and make something lovely!


No comments:

Post a Comment